To Follow Click The Blue Button

Thursday, November 22, 2012

It's only a word

The motivation for this blog came from those blue federation shirts we have been wearing.

I wondered where the design came from.  Now I know.  (It's funny I showed my daughter this post and she said she knew about Wordle already and she is in grade 4).

wordle.net
I thought this might be something the students can use as an image for a Glog or as a teacher it can be used to preview or review a unit.  I thought of using the success criteria or learning goals for a course in a Wordle.  I decided on Food and Nutrition HFA4M and the unit on Diversity, Interdependence and Global Connections. This was page 64 of the Ministry of Ontario's curriculum document for Social Sciences for grade 11 and 12.   Using a few key words this is what I obtained after typing them into the text box after hitting create.
Now to demonstrate a point, I copied and pasted the whole page from the Ministry document into Wordle and this is what I obtained.
Notice what words stick out. The more times a word shows up in your list, the larger it is in the Wordle.   You can read the FAQ to explain sizing etc.  Also note Wordle has given you free rights to use your Wordle for whatever you would like to use it for.  You can even make money off of them as designs for shirts.  The downside of Wordle is that if you want a digital copy of your Wordle you must take a screen shot of it (hit Ctrl and Print Screen simultaneously) and then paste it into, say, Paint and then save it.

You can also go to the top banner and pick Gallery to see other peoples Wordles.  Here are a couple  I thought were good for educators.  The first was titled Healthy Eating.

This one was called Ecosystems.

The last one was called Rock Cycle.
The problem with the gallery is that you can't search it digitally.  You must just keep hitting the "Older>>" button.  Oh well at least it is free.

No comments:

Post a Comment